Palazzo Sant’Agostino, facing the beautiful sea-promenade, is seat of the Provincial Government, after a long period as seat of the Prefect’s office. The Reception Room is located on the first floor, and is dedicated to Girolamo Bottiglieri, outstanding jurist and politician of the second half of 20th century. In particular, in his capacity as President of the Province, Bottiglieri was a resolute promoter of this territory.
A huge painting of Giuseppe De Mattia, a local painter, expressly made for this room in 1826, portrays an Oriental prince introducing the philosopher Costantino l’Africano to the Norman Prince Robert Guiscard. Through this representation the painting illustrates Salerno’s glorious past: the Medical School and the splendours of the Norman period.
The Reception Room – up to 120 seats and provided with audio-visual equipments – is an institutional venue of conferences, congresses and the like.