History

Strategically positioned between the enchanting Amalfi Coast and Cilento Coast,  Salerno became in 194 B.C. a Roman colony and was given the name of Salernum. During the centuries Goths, Byzantines, Longobards and Normans ruled this town. Under the Longbard Prince Arechi II Salerno experienced a time of splendour becoming seat of the famous Medical School.
1076 the Norman leader Robert Guiscard conquered Salerno and built the majestic Cathedral, then consecrated to St. Matthew the Apostle and Patron Saint of the town, whose sacred relics are laid in the crypt. The Swabian rule (12th c.) was characterised by economy expansion and progress, and the Molo Manfredi ( Manfredi’s dock) – named after Frederick II ‘ son – is a perpetual sign of that time. Margaret Queen of Durazzo took up residence in Salerno and was eventually buried in the cathedral. Later on, Salerno became a territory belonging to the Principi di Sanseverino. After a long period of neglect, in 18th century the town was progressively restored and embellished through the building of churches, palaces and streets, still forming the old town.
During  Napoleon’s rule several ecclesiastical orders as well as the Medical School were abolished.
September 1943, following the landing of the Allied Troops, Salerno became capital of Italy for a short time and seat of Badoglio‘s Government.

Comments are closed